SDIs & Related Services
Specially Designed Instruction (SDIs):
- Make sure SDIs (specially designed instruction) can be implemented into the general ed. classroom (for 11th/12th graders, also applicable to college). BE SPECIFIC.
- LOCATION: Location should be specific but appropriately inclusive. For example, “All Regular Ed Classes” or “All Classes” or “Learning Support Room” etc.
- FREQUENCY: Documentation of frequency should avoid vague terms like “as needed” even if frequency is not constant. Instead use terms like “each test/quiz” or “each homework assignment.”
- PROJECTED BEGINNING DATE/ANTICIPATED DURATION: These dates usually are the same as the dates on the cover page (IEP Implementation Date & ANTICIPATED DURATION). Exceptions would be a later revision (new beginning date) or SDIs that for some reason are specifically time-limited (end of school year, etc.).
- Related Services: Leave this blank unless student receives related services (i.e. speech/language therapy, occupational therapy, school health services, adapted physical education, psychological services, counseling services, transportation, etc.).
- Supports for Personnel: includes in-service days, trainings, and any collaborative efforts that need to occur to maintain progress a0nd success
Extended School Year (ESY):
- Complete the ESY section (usually check box indicating the student does not qualify and then include the statement listed in the Related Services & ESY Bank).
NOTE: The 2017 Endrew F. v. Douglas County School District supreme court case has implications for determining special education services: 1) services should address ALL of students' needs; 2) services should include evidence-based practices whenever possible.